At A Glance – Korean Airlines SKYPASS Select Visa Signature® Card
- $200 annual statement credit on travel purchases
- $100 Off coupon for Korean Air ticket purchase each year
- 2 Korean Air In-Flight Duty-Free $25 coupons each year, total $50
- 2 KAL Lounge coupons each year
- 10,000 Bonus Miles at renewal after $35,000 in spend annually
- 2 Miles for every $1 you spend on Korean Air ticket, Other Airlines, Car Rental, and Hotel purchases
- 1 Mile for every $1 you spend on all other eligible net purchases
- No Foreign transaction fee
- Trip Delay, Trip Cancellation Protection
- TSA Pre✓® registered or Global Entry application fee statement credit
In-Depth Look At The SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Credit Card
$200 Annual Statement Credit For Travel Purchases: According to the Korean Airlines, the statement credit automatically applies to your purchases. You don’t have to manually claim to get the credit. Any purchases made directly from airlines, car rental companies, and hotels qualifies, only up to $200. Anything more, you pay the difference.
Korean Airline Exclusive Benefits
1. $100 Coupon For Korean Air Ticket Purchases: Each year, beginning on the first year and each year after, the primary cardholder gets a $100 discount coupon.
• If you just got approved for the card, expect the card with the benefits coupons to arrive at your house by mail within 10 business days. I got my KAL SKYPASS Visa card along with the coupons and vouchers in 2 weeks.
• On your anniversary renewal, expect the coupons to be uploaded into your SKYPASS account. The coupon can only be used on Korean Air ticket purchases from koreanair.com, but it seems you have to make a purchase within 90 days of receiving the voucher. So what happens if you purchase a Korean Air ticket 91 days later? Call the SKYPASS reservation or customer service and see if they will still honor the coupon. From my experience, Korean Air is very good with customer service, so you shouldn’t have any trouble using the coupon. The coupon is good for Prestige and Economy Class base fares, and it can’t be used to pay for taxes and surcharges. The coupon can only be used to make flight purchases that are leaving from North America to Asia on Korean Air operated flights and back.
To get your coupon:
1. Click ‘Login’ on the top right corner of koreanair.com’s main web page. Log into your SKYPASS account at koreanair.com
2. After entering your login information, Click Login.
3. Find and click ‘My Dashboard.’
4. Select the ‘My Coupons’ tab and check to see your coupon in ‘My Promotional Coupons.’
To Redeem the coupon:
1. Login to your koreanair.com account.
2. Click ‘Book a Flight’ and book a flight.
3. When you get to the ‘Payment’ section, click on ‘Promotion Coupon’ that is in ‘Coupon Discount’ and choose your discount coupon.
4. Click ‘Apply,’ and the discount coupon will deduct your fare.
• The $100 discount coupon will not apply to award tickets, upgrade tickets, tickets that have already been purchased and issued, and tickets that have other airline flights (like Delta). The $100 coupon cannot be combined with any other offer, and your SKYPASS account must be in good standing; otherwise, the coupon code will not automatically apply. Common sense, right?
• And one last thing, you have to use your SKYPASS Visa card to make the purchase to use the coupon code.
2. Two (2) Korean Air In-Flight Duty-Free Coupons worth $25 each for a total of $50, each year:
• Korean Air says that It will take 6 – 8 weeks to receive the coupons, but I received it within 2 weeks upon approval for the SKYPASS Visa card. The in-flight duty-free coupon can only be used to purchase items on board a Korean Air flight. It’s perfect to buy a gift for that special someone and give it to them when you meet them.
• The In-Flight KAL coupons expire within 1 year, so plan to use it before that because you can’t hoard and stack coupons. New KAL Duty-Free coupons are issued each new year. The vouchers have no cash value and can’t be transferred to someone else. You can use both coupons at once if your purchase amount exceeds $100. Anything between $1 – $50, you can use one coupon. Best way to use it in my opinion is to get something that costs $51 or more, because you can use both KAL coupon vouchers at once.
3. Two (2) KAL Lounge Coupons:
• Initially, you get 2 KAL lounge coupons when you are approved for the KAL Visa credit card. It comes with the credit card. I received my credit card and all the vouchers and coupons 2 weeks after approval. Each year after that, upon renewal, you will get 2 Lounge coupons 8 to 10 weeks after the annual fee is paid. It can only be used in Korean Air flights in North American and Seoul Incheon International Airport.
• Here is a direct link to the Korean Air Lounges
• Purchases using the SKYPASS Select Visa card helps you towards the Morning Calm Club Membership, a Korean Air frequent flyer membership program.
• Opinions differ but each KAL Lounge coupons are worth 35,000 to 55,000 Won, or $30 – $50.
4. Earning Points
• 2 points for every $1 spent on Korean Air flight ticket purchases: To qualify, Korean Air must be the merchant on the credit card statement, and the SKYPASS Visa card must be used to make the ticket purchase. If there is a problem with the points earned, you can call Korean Air Customer Service at 1-800-438-5000.
• 2 points for every $1 spent on Airline Ticket, Car Rental, and Hotels:
• 1 point for every $1 on everything else:
• No Limit on bonus points earning
5. BONUS MILES
• 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 within 90 days. Expect the Bonus Miles to be in your SKYPASS account at 6 to 8 weeks after meeting the spend requirement, if not sooner. You should open a SKYPASS account, so the Bonus Miles can be credited to it.
• 10,000 Bonus Miles Each Year After You Spend $35,000 For That Year: The annual fee must be paid on the anniversary month it is due. Just like other airlines, you MAY receive an Internal Revenue Service Form 1099, and it may be taxable income. It hasn’t happened yet for me, but you never know. T he annual renewal Bonus Miles will be sent to your SKYPASS account within 8 to 10 weeks of the month you got the credit card.
• TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application Fee Statement – To get the statement credit applied, pay for the application fee with your SKYPASS Select Visa Signature card.
• No Foreign Transaction Fees
• Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption Reimbursement – If your trip is canceled or interrupted due to a covered reason, you get reimbursed for the cost of the common carrier fare.
• Trip Delay Reimbursement – Of a covered trip is delayed for more than 12 hours, you get up to $300 reimbursement per ticket.
• Redeem Your Miles for flights and upgrades on Korean Air and SkyTeam airline partners
VISA Signature Benefits and Features
• VISA Concierge
• No Preset Spending Limit
• Luxury Hotel Collection
• Special Dining Events, Tastings, Pricing, Savings
Other VISA Benefits
• Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
• Emergency Evacuation
• Lost Luggage Reimbursement
• Purchase Security
• Return Protection
• Roadside Dispatch
• Travel Accident Insurance
• Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
• Warranty Manager Service
• Smart Chip Technology
Is the SKYPASS Select Visa Signature Credit Card Good?
It has exciting features and benefits, holding numerous benefits and features that most premium credit cards have. A luxury premium card that costs $450 a year to keep should give a good Return on Annual Fee (ROAF).
I figured my ROAF is at a minimum $410 – $440.
• $200 Travel Credits
• $100 Airline Ticket Credit
• $50 Duty Free Voucher
• $60 – $90 KAL Lounge Voucher
I figure I am left with trying to make up the $10 – $40 difference. That shouldn’t be too difficult. Using the automotive rental collision damage waiver should bring up the ROAF to $450, which cancels out the annual fee paid. However, I wish I got additional benefits that would make me feel like I was getting a better deal. Perhaps a complimentary Priority Pass Select membership like that given by American Express Platinum.
After looking at the card, in the long term, it seems to offer me a break-even point each year. A break-even point for me is when the card’s monetary benefits and other features cancel out its annual fee. The first year owning the KAL credit card is good, because I’m getting the 30,000 bonus Korean Airlines mileage points. Every year after that, I calculated that I was paying $10 – $40 annually to keep the card. That however, is a bit of misleading because the 0% foreign transaction fees, Visa Signature benefits and travel benefits were not factored in. If the rest of the cards features are used, this card pays for itself.
This card doesn’t try to be an American Express Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve. Instead, it concentrates on being a premium airline travel card for Korean Airlines, just like the Delta Platinum is for Delta. This card makes sense to keep in your wallet if you frequently fly Korean Airlines.
Discuss with the Authentic at “The Seoul of Korea Youtube Channel.“
Become a member of The S.O.K. Nation! KPop, Bachelors degree, and bulgogi not included!
It’s you that motivates us to stay awake throughout the night time burning the candles to writing. Fighting!
DISCLAIMER: The paragraphs above is my attempt at Korean English humor. I am a Korean-American, so I believe it is ok. If you don’t like it, then don’t read the paragraphs above. Too late, you already done it.